Needless to say, our lungs are a very important organ. It is through them that our breaths are powered. Consequently our lungs are also sucking in harmful elements from the air around us. Thus it is important that we choose foods to cleanse our lungs, so as to reduce common lung diseases that may result as a result of this inhalation.
Respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia and cystic fibrosis are just some of the diseases we need to avoid. Thanks to regular exercises, trying to avoid pollution and not smoking, many people manage to avoid these diseases. In order to succeed even further in this endeavour, it is also important to maintain a healthy diet. There are some foods which are great for good lung health. Let us discuss some of them in more detail.
8. Seeds, nuts and beans – these contain a lot of magnesium which is highly recommended for asthmatic people. It will also help to increase the lung capacity and improve the efficiency of the respiratory process.
9. Pistachios – raw pistachios are great to improve lung health. They can help prevent kung cancer according to various studies. They also help to lower cholesterol.
10. Cayenne pepper – they are great to suppress coughs as well as sore throats. Cayenne pepper is often when one is suffering from respiratory problems or bronchial congestion.
11. Chilli and curry – they are both great for lung detoxification. Since they are spicy they will essentially liquefy any mucus in your lungs, throat and nose.
12. Onions – onions are rich in folic acid, as well as vitamins B6 and C. They thus offer various health benefits, and are also known to help fight against lung cancer development too.
13. Cruciferous vegetables – all vegetables that derive from the cabbage family are referred to as cruciferous vegetables. These include broccoli and cauliflowers, for example. All these vegetables are literally packed with antioxidants. These work to cleanse the body, including your lungs, from toxins.
14. Foods with carotenoids – carotenoids are renowned for their unique ways of fighting off the development of lung cancer. This type of antioxidant is found in many fruits and vegetables. When consumed this antioxidant is converted into Vitamin A which is also highly effective against asthma. There are various foods that contain carotenoids, including carrots, tomatoes, pumpkins and apricots.
15. Water – last but not least, water is very important to cleanse your lungs. Rather than drinking soda, coffee, alcohol, or other beverages, you should opt for water. It is an excellent source of hydration and it accelerates the detoxification process. If you are not used to drinking clear water, or maybe you hate that plain taste, you can add some flavour to it by adding some drops of lemon juice.
By incorporating these foods in your diet you will be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle, while also cleansing your lungs.